Commonly Treated Chiropractic Conditions
Back pain treatment practice guidelines endorse chiropractic management as an effective treatment option for acute and chronic back pain.
Some Chiropractic Back Pain Treatment Recommendations include:
- Spinal Adjustments.
- The careful use of over-the-counter pain medication,
- Early return to activities
As the most effective and hence cost-effective management for most patients.
- Bronfort G, Haas M, Evans R, Leininger B, Triano J. Effectiveness of manual therapies: the UK evidence report. Chiropr Osteopat. 2010;18:3. [PMC free article] [PubMed)
Neck Pain & Whiplash
Chiropractic treatment for neck pain using spinal adjustment is effective for acute as well as subacute neck pain. Effectiveness was also found for acute whiplash when spinal adjustment is combined with exercise. Spinal adjustment is also an effective treatment for chronic neck pain when combined with exercise.
- Bronfort G, Haas M, Evans R, Leininger B, Triano J. Effectiveness of manual therapies: the UK evidence report. Chiropr Osteopat. 2010;18:3. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
Results of chiropractic research from 2000 – 2010 identified a new study that suggests the effectiveness of spinal adjustment alone for patients with associated cervicogenic (neck related) headaches.
What causes cervicogenic headache
Cervicogenic headaches are headaches caused by a disorder of the cervical spine (neck).
Effective treatment of cervicogenic headache and migraine
An important review on this topic was conducted by the Bone and Joint Decade 2000–2010 Task Force on the treatment of neck pain. As a result, the task force found that a spinal adjustment is an effective option for the treatment of cervicogenic headaches as well as migraine headaches.
- Haas M, Spegman A, Peterson DH, 1. Aickin M, Vavrek D. Dose-response and efficacy of spinal manipulation for chronic cervicogenic headache: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Spine J. 2010;10:117–128. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Hurwitz EL, Carragee EJ, van der Velde G, et al. Treatment of neck pain: noninvasive interventions: results of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000–2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders. Spine. 2008;33:S123–S152. [PubMed]
- Bronfort G, Nilsson N, Haas M, Evans R, Assendelft WJJ, Bouter LM. Non-invasive physical treatments for chronic/recurrent headache. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(3): CD001878. [PubMed]
Adjustments of extremity joints are used to treat a variety of conditions. The effectiveness of chiropractic care was found for:
- Shoulder girdle pain, as well as
- Frozen shoulder,
- Tennis elbow,
- Hip and knee osteoarthritis,
- Pain behind the knee cap, and also
- Plantar fasciitis (heel or arch foot pain).
Furthermore, inconclusive evidence in a favourable direction was observed for:
- rotator cuff pain,
- shoulder pain,
- carpal tunnel syndrome,
- ankle sprains as well as
- Morton’s neuroma.
- McHardy A, Hoskins W, Pollard H, et al. Chiropractic treatment of upper extremity conditions: a systematic review. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2008;31:146–59. [PubMed]
- Chiropractic Treatment of Lateral Epicondylitis: A Case Report Utilizing Active Release Techniques. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine 2014 Conservative Chiropractic Care of Lateral Epicondylitis. JMPT 2000
Chiropractic for sports injuries focuses on the movement and also the function of the body. Because correct biomechanics is important when participating in sports at all levels, chiropractic care offers excellent support during sports participation at all levels. Due to a lack of efficient movement or, because of collisions experienced in contact sports injuries often occur.
Sports Chiropractors can help assess, treat, and manage sports injuries, whether they are new or old, and also provide a treatment plan to address any ongoing issues.
- Ernst E, Posadzki P. Chiropractic for the prevention and/or treatment of sports injuries: a systematic review of controlled clinical trials. Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies. 2012;17:9–14.
Babies, Children & Teens
Young children can experience many small accidents throughout their lives. Examples of these small accidents could include:
- falling off bikes,
- injuries from playing a sport,
- falling as they learn to walk,
- long periods in car seats,
- hunching over school desks or carrying heavy school bags and also
- poor posture involved in prolonged computer and device use.
Children and teens have very different needs from adults with regard to chiropractic treatment. Therefore, treatment is always modified to suit the age of the child receiving care. Using carefully selected techniques, that above all is safe and gentle, our chiropractor can assist with any issues relating to a child’s posture and spinal health.
During pregnancy hormonal changes impact your ligaments. Also, the weight, size, and position of your baby can cause strain and stress on the body structures. For these reasons, you may experience back pain.
Is Chiropractic Safe During Pregnancy?
Chiropractic care is a safe, gentle, and effective treatment for back pain. Chiropractic treatment is also a natural and drug-free way of managing your back pain during your pregnancy.