Commonly Treated Conditions
Evidence-based practice guidelines endorse chiropractic management as an effective treatment option for acute, subacute, and also chronic back pain. Recommendations include:
- spinal manipulation, as well as
- the careful use of over-the-counter pain medication,
- exercise and also
- early return to activities
as the most effective and hence cost-effective management for most patients.
Chiropractic care using spinal manipulation is effective for acute as well as subacute neck pain. Effectiveness was also found for acute whiplash when spinal manipulation is combined with exercise. Spinal manipulation is also an effective treatment for chronic neck pain when combined with exercise.
Results of chiropractic research from 2000 – 2010 identified a new study that suggests the effectiveness of spinal manipulation alone for patients with associated cervicogenic headache.
Cervicogenic headaches are headaches caused by a disorder of the cervical spine (neck).
An important review on this topic was conducted by the Bone and Joint Decade 2000–2010 Task Force on the treatment of neck pain. As a result, the task force found that spinal manipulation is an effective option for the treatment of cervicogenic headaches as well as migraine headaches.
- Haas M, Spegman A, Peterson DH, 1. Aickin M, Vavrek D. Dose-response and efficacy of spinal manipulation for chronic cervicogenic headache: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Spine J. 2010;10:117–128. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Hurwitz EL, Carragee EJ, van der Velde G, et al. Treatment of neck pain: noninvasive interventions: results of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000–2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders. Spine. 2008;33:S123–S152. [PubMed]
- Bronfort G, Nilsson N, Haas M, Evans R, Assendelft WJJ, Bouter LM. Non-invasive physical treatments for chronic/recurrent headache. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(3):CD001878. [PubMed]
Manipulation of extremity joints is used to treat a variety of conditions. The effectiveness of chiropractic care was found for:
- shoulder girdle pain,
- frozen shoulder,
- tennis elbow,
- hip and knee osteoarthritis,
- pain behind the knee cap, and also
- plantar fasciitis (heel or arch foot pain).
Furthermore, inconclusive evidence in a favourable direction was observed for:
- rotator cuff pain,
- shoulder pain,
- carpal tunnel syndrome,
- ankle sprains as well as
- Morton’s neuroma.
McHardy A, Hoskins W, Pollard H, et al. Chiropractic treatment of upper extremity conditions: a systematic review. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2008;31:146–59. [PubMed]
Chiropractic care focuses on the movement as well as the function of the body. Thus, correct biomechanics are important when participating in sports at all levels. Without this efficient movement or because of collisions experienced in contact sports injuries often occur.
Sports Chiropractors can help assess, treat and manage sports injuries, whether they are new or old, and provide a treatment plan to address any ongoing issues.
Ernst E, Posadzki P. Chiropractic for the prevention and/or treatment of sports injuries: a systematic review of controlled clinical trials. Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies. 2012;17:9–14.
Babies, Children & Teens
Young children can experience many small accidents throughout their lives. Examples of these small accidents could include:
- falling off bikes,
- injuries from playing sport,
- falling as they learn to walk,
- long periods in car seats,
- hunching over school desks or carrying heavy school bags and also
- poor posture involved in prolonged computer and device use.
Children and teens have very different needs from adults with regard to chiropractic treatment. Therefore, treatment is always modified to suit the age of the child receiving care. Using carefully selected techniques, chiropractic can assist with any issues relating to a child’s posture and spinal health.
Due to the hormonal changes impacting your ligaments and the weight/size and position of your baby, pregnancy can cause strain and stress on the body structures that may lead to back pain. Chiropractic care a is safe, gently and effective treatment for back pain. Chiropractic is also a natural and drug free way of managing your back pain during your pregnancy.